Friday, April 1, 2011

Sunroom Bench

We just started a new crafty project - a corner bench for our 3-season room with storage compartments inside.  It won't be identical to this picture, but this was kind of my inspiration ..

This is usually how it works: I come up with a crazy idea that I want to start immediately, my husband comes up with the design and logistics, and then we dive in.  We spent about $80 on wood and screws for this project.

First, we built the frames using 2x3 boards.  The frames are 18 inches high and 4 to 5 feet long.
Next, we added thin but sturdy plywood for the front, back, and sides of the benches, which will allow us to store unsightly law equipment, etc., inside!  You can see my husband working in his pajamas below.
We added trim to the plywood sides and a low backrest.  The picture below shows the final frame, minus the seats, which we made out of thick particle board.
We painted the whole thing white, and made the cushions out of strips of egg carton foam.  A big "THANK YOU" to my mother-in-law, who was able to sew all of the cushion and pillow covers for us! 
 What do you think???

4 comments: